Friday, July 20, 2012

The Body Shop’s 4-Step Smoky Eye Palettes

After playing with my Victoria’s Secret palette, I was eager to try out these two exciting-looking kits from The Body Shop, at $28 each


The looks depicted on the covers are very dramatic, yet use a neutral combination of colors (Golden Brown and Silver Black,) which is not something you see commonly. They come with four eye shadows (a light, a medium, a dark, and a highlight,) a little eyeliner in a corresponding shade, and a mini-brush.


 Opening them up, I was most excited by the highlight shade in the Golden Brown kit. It’s gorgeous pale gold, with flecks of light green. However, once on skin, the colors don’t seem as pigmented, even with the use of primer (stripes on the right.)










The first step on the back of the box has you start off with the light and medium shades. To be perfectly honest, I was turned off at how chalky and sheer they looked on my skin. There was also a little more fall-out than what I’m used to when applying a pressed powder shadow. However, at this point, I figured that since the darkest shade has a very prominent role in the look, chances were it’d smooth everything out...

…Was I ever wrong…













...Dear Readers, I apologize for the following gross picture, but yuck!
 The fall-out on the darkest color is unbelievable! I tried my best to keep it from smearing everywhere, from using the brush that comes specifically with the kit (it’s not very good) to using the best of my make-up applicators. Nothing could keep that flaky, smearing powder from going everywhere! I finally had to use a make-up remover wipe to smooth out the edges. If you already own or plan on purchasing this product, do NOT apply your foundation and concealer beforehand. You’ll only have to do it again.

After dealing with the whole mess, I was surprised to learn that the highlights aren’t powder, but rather cream shadows. While I was hoping this would be the saving grace for this kit, the consistency made them hard to apply. To my disappointment, most of the green reflection of the Golden Brown highlight was completely lost. One quick sweep over my waterlines shows me that the pencil liners are more for show than anything. 

Is it worth it? Personally, I'll probably keep the kits around to use as individual shadows, but I’m not too impressed by the instructions, especially considering what the box promises. The final outcome isn't terrible, but it’s not what I was looking for. Maybe in the future I’ll come up with better uses for these shades.

Here is the final look when using Silver Black. I’m a little bit fonder of this result, but there was still a ridiculous amount of shadow falling everywhere. Do not use these kits on the go, you will regret it!


Final Verdict: This is gonna be a tough one… I do like the looks, even though they were kind of a hassle to achieve. The shadows could also be useful to have around. I guess if you don’t mind the trouble, you can take it as a Like It. If not, please LEAVE IT.


Ingredients: Mica (Opacifier), Talc (Absorbent/Bulking Agent), Synthetic Fluorphlogopite (Viscosity Increasing Agent), Lanolin Oil (Skin Conditioning Agent), Dimethicone (Skin Conditioning Agent), Isostearyl Neopentanoate (Emollient), Zinc Stearate (Binder), Isopropyl Palmitate (Emollient), Copernicia Cerifera Cera (Stabiliser/Viscosity Modifier), Synthetic Wax (Binder/Emollient), Polymethyl Methacrylate (Emollient), Sclerocarya Birrea Seed Oil (Skin Conditioning Agent), Silica (Absorbent), Ethylhexyl Palmitate (Skin Conditioning Agent), Ricinus Communis Seed Oil (Emollient), Tocopheryl Acetate (Antioxidant), Sorbitan Stearate (Emulsifier), Hydrogenated Caprylyl Olive Esters (Binder), Methylparaben (Preservative), Propylparaben (Preservative), Lauroyl Lysine (Skin Conditioning Agent), Tin Oxide (Opacifier). [+/- CI 77499 (Colour), CI 77491 (Colour), CI 77492 (Colour), CI 77891 (Colour)]. Isononyl Isononanoate (Emollient/Skin Conditioner), Triethylhexanoin (Fragrance Ingredient), Calcium Sodium Borosilicate (Bulking Agent), Silica (Absorbent), Silica Dimethyl Silylate (Binder/Viscosity Modifier), Candelilla Cera (Stabiliser), Polyethylene (Opacifier), Synthetic Fluorphlogopite (Viscosity Increasing Agent), Mica (Opacifier), VP/Hexadecene Copolymer (Film Former), Tocopheryl Acetate (Antioxidant), Tin Oxide (Opacifier), Sclerocarya Birrea Seed Oil (Skin Conditioning Agent), Synthetic Wax (Binder/Emollient), Isopropyl Titanium Triisostearate (Emollient). [+/- CI 77891 (Colour), CI 77000 (Colour), CI 77491 (Colour), CI 77499 (Colour), CI 19140 (Colour), CI 15850 (Colour)]. Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil (Emollient/Hair Conditioner), Hydrogenated Castor Oil (Emollient), Mica (Opacifier), Ceresin (Stabiliser), Sclerocarya Birrea Seed Oil (Skin Conditioning Agent), Tocopherol (Antioxidant), CI 77499 (Colour), CI 77491 (Colour), CI 77492 (Colour). 

No comments:

Post a Comment